Monday, April 9, 2012

Role of Father in Leisure Development



A recent study that was just released in Leisure Sciences: An Interdisciplinary Journal was examining the relationship between fathers’ involvement in family leisure and aspects of family functioning from both a father and young adolescent perspective. The sample consisted of fathers and their adolescent child from 647 families throughout the US. Results showed that there were significantly different relationships between father involvement in both core and balance family leisure with family cohesion, family adaptability, and overall family functioning. “Satisfaction with core family leisure that included the father's involvement was the single strongest predictor of all aspects of family functioning from both perspectives highlighting the importance of regularly occurring home-based family activities such as eating dinner together, participating in hobbies and informal sports or yard activities together, watching television together, or playing board games and video games together.”
This is not surprising to me at all, because when I think back at all of the leisure activities my father had us do as a family, they always brought us together as a family. Every single one of the activities listed in the study, are leisure activities that are still important to me today, and also ones that I will carry onto my family when I get older. Also, according to a number of previous studies, couples that participate in joint leisure are more satisfied with their relationship, then couples that participate in their own leisure. This does not surprise me either, because in a relationship there is so much time people are away from each other, most of it being work. If couples have the opportunity for leisure activities, they should absolutely participate in joint leisure to increase their bond between each other. This study goes in depth into many different facets of family leisure, functioning leisure, family functioning, and father involvement, and can be found at the link below:

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/01490400.2012.652510

1 comment:

  1. I too agree that many of the activites that my father and me participated in, I try to pass done to my son. My son and I enjoy playing video games, going fishing, playing games together just as I did with my father. My wife and myself enjoy doing leisure together too. We both enjoy going to sporting events, movies, and travel. Now as a family we all enjoy going to the shooting range together and bonding as a family unit. We even take my father at times to increase the family function.

    ReplyDelete